- Status: Adopted!
- Adoption Fee: 450.00
- Species: Dog
- Rescue ID: D200059
- Current Size: 140 Pounds
- Current Age: 2 Years 2 Months (best estimate)
- Microchipped: Yes
- Fence Required: Yes(6 foot)
- Housetrained: Yes
- Obedience Training Needed: Needs Training
- Owner Experience Needed: Breed
Sterling is a big, handsome, determined dog. He is house and crate trained, knows sit and down and rides well in a car. He will make you laugh, melt your heart and drive you crazy often all at the same time. Sterling has been well loved BUT he has not been well trained. With time and dedicated training, he will be the wonderful companion that every Great Dane owner dream of.
Likes: Sterling loves to have his face petted. He will melt into your hand at the slightest touch. He also likes to sit on your lap when outside and watch the world go by.
Personality: determined- He will get to or do whatever interests him at the moment. He has very short attention span, is not food motivated and gets bored easily so he requires a lot of direction and attention
Temperament: Sterling takes meds well, is okay with having his ears handled and his feet touched but was unsure about having his nails trimmed.
Energy level: Tasmanian Devil to sleeping beauty, there is no in-between. He is either bouncing from toy to toy or fast asleep; preferably while laying across your lap.
Favorite activities: tearing things up- he will grab any pillow, towel, blanket or bed he can get ahold of but he will drop it if told, but if not, he will shred it.
Good with : He likes other dogs but can be pushy and does not understand personal space
Not good with: NO cats!!
Crate trained: yes
Challenges: Sterling requires dedicated training and manners and 6-foot fence
Any Medical issues? Recently neutered
Sterling will thrive with a patient owner that understands and is willing to learn how to train him and give him focus. He is the sweetest, most loving dog he just does not know what to do with all of his energy. He enjoys walks and would appreciate an active family. Sterling will require a fenced yard as he jumps straight up about 6 feet but has not escaped his current foster’s fence which is 4 feet tall- we would recommend a 6-foot fence for his best safety and protection if possible. Definitely will require breed and large dog history. Sterling will challenge his new family from the start but will grow to be a great part of it will the right attention and training.
Fostered in Washington, DC.
Application Fees, Adoption Donations and Rescue Policy: Please know that 100% of our funds are used for rescuing the dogs.
Our rescue policy requires the following:
- Adopters must have their primary residence in one of the following states: Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, and parts of North Carolina and and parts of New York.
- We will not adopt a giant breed dog to homes where the dog will have access to highly varnished hardwood steps inside the home. Any inside steps to which the dog(s) have access, must have carpeting, securely fixed stair treads, or a non-skid surface. We encourage you to remediate potential safety issues while your application is under review, prior to the home visit.
- Applications for giant breed dogs must be submitted by the property owner.
- Homes with children under 6 years of age will not be approved for adoption.
- Homes with children should have a fenced yard.
- Pets currently in the applicant's home must have a history of appropriate veterinary care. Veterinary records will be checked.
- All references must be checked before any visitation of the dog is permitted at the foster home.
- All family members must be present during the home visit to the applicant's home.
- Any dog(s) in the applicant's home must have an introductory meeting with the rescue dog being considered, before any adoption can be completed.
- Homes with intact dogs will not be approved for adoption. Exceptions to this policy can be found on the Adoptable Dog Page.
For additional information please review our FAQs or contact: firstname.lastname@example.org